Our Google AdWords reps came to visit us recently, and they brought along a mobile expert. She spoke to us for two hours about the importance of mobile to our clients businesses and shared some very eye-opening statistics.
- A one second increase in your mobile site load time causes a 7% drop in conversions. For a company that does $100,000 in revenue per day – 1 second leads to $2.5 million in lost revenue per year.
- A three second increase in page load time on mobile causes a 22% drop in page views, and 50% increase in bounce rate and 22% drop in conversions.
- Fathead.com made their mobile site 37% faster and saw a 70% increase in mobile revenue per user.
Mobile searches have eclipsed the number of desktop searches in the US as well as in nine other countries world-wide. Mobile is here and it’s affecting your business. I’m seeing desktop impressions decreasing, regardless of increased desktop spend, and I’m seeing mobile increases in the 100% to 200% as the norm. If your business is not doing as well as it did last year, I would look long and hard at how your site is on mobile, because it’s very likely that your site is the cause. There’s a whole slew of data that shows how a poor mobile site experience can turn off a potential customer, not just for the moment but for the long term (see the thinkwithgoogle.com link below for the research).
Wondering how your site stacks up? You can check how your site ranks using two tools:
1. Check how friendly your site is on mobile devices:https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
2. See how fast it loads and what is causing issues at Page Speed Insights:https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
One more place to get information: Google has launched an entire micro-site dedicated to helping you as business owners and marketing managers understand more about what it is and how it affects your business: http://thinkwithgoogle.com/micromoments